Small and recently launched, the Stanford Wine Route includes some eight wineries all within a small radius of Stanford, a town in the Overberg that needs little introduction to Capetonians who regularly drive the 90 minutes to get away from it all (and who wouldn’t, Stanford is postcard material).
The original 8 estates include:
- Raka, alongside the R326 in the Klein River Mountain valley
- Boschrivier, not all that far from Raka, whose main focus is a boutique Shiraz
- Vaalvlei, on the road to Elim, with a tiny vineyard of just three hectares (the rest of the farm is devoted to nature conservation) Vinyard Cottage is here and available for holiday stays.
- Springfontein Estate on the Klein River en-route to Die Plaat with a focus on Chenin Blanc and Pinotage
- Misty Mountains Estate – they also produce bottled water and olives
- Sir Robert Stanford Estate, just outside Stanford, and home of Zesty Lemon Restaurant
- Stanford Hills Estate – their restaurant is called The Tasting Room
- Walker Bay Vineyards (where you’ll also find the Birkenhead Brewery) completes the picture
To drive the Stanford Wine Route join the R43 at Hermanus or Gansbaai. Alternatively join the R326 from the N2 two thirds of the way from Caledon to Riviersonderend. The wine route can even serve as a day trip from Greyton.